Friday, June 15, 2007

Thursday Race Recap

Aw, shit. Where to start? I felt great for my Cat 3 debut last night. I usually suffer when it's hot and humid, but yesterday was fantastic.

The first race was a 12-lap Tempo race. I don't have the ability to ride hot-laps over and over, so I took a flyer off the front right from the gun, taking the first three laps and 6 points. At that point it was over for me, and Timmer took over with Stewart on his wheel. My hope was that the group would stay together and fight it out for points, so no individuals would take too many points. That was not the case, as Timmer and Stewart took all subsequent laps. I ended up in 3rd.

After what felt like hours of watching Madison kilo's it was time for the Chariot Heats. The pace didn't start out too fast, and I was able to sprint away from the group on the second lap to qualify in 1st.

The Chariot finals were fast right out of the gate. I hung in 3rd wheel for the first lap and came around hard out of turn 2 to take the win by a good margin. I love that race, but I was dizzy as shit after it was done. I also hit a new max speed on the track during this effort, which means my training is definitely going in the right direction.

My Dad was in town from Seattle and came out to watch me race, so I skipped the final 50-lap scratch race to go hang out with him in the stands.

I haven't seen the results, but I think I ended up 2nd in the omnium behind Timmer. I'm just lucky he can't sprint or we'd all be screwed (although he did score some points in the Chariot).

I hope I can make it to the race on Saturday, it sounds like fun. My son's birthday party is this weekend, and we may have some family coming in from out of town. We shall see...

No comments: