Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Not Feeling Very SRAMmy


When I ordered SRAM Rival components for my road bike, I was excited. I like to support the underdog and I was looking forward to trying something new. In short, I liked the idea of using SRAM components. I wanted to like them.

But let's be honest here. Their stuff sucks balls. The shifting is sub-par, the double-tap system is stupid and unintuitive, the finish is tacky, the chainrings are wimpy, it's impossible to adjust the front derailluer to eliminate rubbing...the list goes on and on. If these components were on a race bike I would have gotten rid of them immediately, because I believe all the downsides would be a liability in races.

Maybe that's Lance's plan. When he fails to live up to expecations in his comeback, he can blame SRAM.

I give them credit for trying to be innovative, but they've got a hell of a lot of work to do.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I ride the SRAM Force gruppo, and I disagree wholeheartedly with your review. I would, and have, recommended SRAM to anyone.

Ben said...

SRAM isn't built for your legs! They have one of the best warranty programs. Give 'em a call.

Skibby said...

I've used Campy Record and Shimano and I have SRAM Force. SRAM is hands down better than the other 2. Go to a decent bike shop and have them set it up for you correctly. The shifting is way more intuitive and better than any other gruppo...

v10 said...

I have never used SRAM but have been more than please with my campy drive-train. When my gear spring wore out for the rear shifter, I took the thing apart, rebuilt it with new springs, and it's like new again.

I am also of the opinion that there is nothing out there that shifts as well or as precisely and efficiently as a shimano drivetrain. but I am biased, so take it with a grain of salt.

run what you brung. none of us are made of money...