Wednesday, December 08, 2010

By Popular Demand, The P90X Update

Here's the short version: I quit.

Here's the longer version:

I finished the first month and actually had pretty good results. Then I got sick and didn't work out for a week, then life got in the way and I kind of lost interest.

After the first week, I realized that I needed to modify some of the workouts to better fit my goals. This included modifying the chest workout to include heavy bench press instead of doing 800 different variation of push-ups.

The cardio-based workouts (Kenpo, plyometrics) were actually a great workout and quite a bit of fun.

Consistently working out 6 days a week is also a great recipe for results.

The bottom line, however, is that I just didn't really care for the majority of the workouts. They were all very repetitive (doing cycles of the same 4 exercises for an hour, the 2-hour yoga video, etc...) and I didn't enjoy them.

The principles are sound. Mix up the workouts, throw in plenty of cardio, eat right, and stay consistent. For someone who wants a "no-brainer", the program is perfect. I just feel like I know my body well enough to design a program for myself that I enjoy doing and gives me the results I want.

The problem there is that I've been a lazy sack of shit lately. Work and family life have been super busy and I've had a hard time keeping up with the "extras" in life. Hopefully things will be calming down here shortly and I can start lifting and xc skiing. And maybe even blogging.

3 comments:

jnorton said...

Taylor,

Have you tried Crossfit? Same concept, much faster. Once you get familiar with their website and list of exercises, it's easy to adapt/modify the workouts. On the other hand, the messianic smugness can be grating. crossfit.com

Jeremy

Tenacious T said...

That looks pretty cool! I may have to give it a try. Seems like the website is a bit hard to navigate and has a bit of a learning curve for a newb, but it definitely has variety.

chance said...

If you ride your mountian bike and want a mountain bike specific work out that works and will make you a better rider at the sametime, check out www.bikejames.com, the ultimate mtb workout it's worth every penny and james is super cool and friendly and can customize the work out if you want.