Friday, September 11, 2009

Trust The Yellow Bus


Few people know that I used to be a school bus driver when I was in college. Yeah, yeah, laugh it up assholes. Those fuckin' kids loved me. Because of the awesomeness.

It was actually a perfect job for a college student. Up early (OK, that part sucked), done by 9:00, go to class, back to work for the afternoon route, home by 5. No nights, no weekends. I just cranked the radio and we rocked out.

These days, it's amazing the lengths I'll go to in order to not have to wait behind a bus. There's a stop at an apartment complex on my way to work where, I dunno, 50 or so kids get on. It takes like 5 minutes. Which sucks. So I drive 10 minutes out of my way to avoid it.

Today, while taking an alternate route to work to avoid all the bus stops that make my commute take for-fucking-ever, I ironically ended up on some of the roads that were part of my old bus route. Then I saw the kids out waiting for the bus and I started to recognize some of them. Holy shit! A lot of these kids were 1st and 2nd graders when I had them, and now they're freshmen and sophomores in high school.

Most of them look pretty much the same, but a couple of them have gone goth and/or gotten fat. I wonder if they would even remember me? Probably not.

Fuck, I feel old...

3 comments:

dew said...

Driving school bus is nothing to be ashamed of Holmes. If you're a cyclcist with any sort of pedigree its a right of passage to drive bus. Tim, Dale, Chief, Bilek, Dana, myself. Sorry if i missed anyone.

Tenacious T said...

I'm not ashamed...it's just that some may find it comical that I was put in charge of children.

Nice to know I'm in good company!

Unknown said...

yea! the good old days.. i drove for the rich kids in plymouth wayzata area with dewey in 1990 i think.. then 3 years later for the poor kids in st paul. great memories.. one of my favorites was when dewey had a bus issue and had to call in to base and in the backround you could hear the kids all chanting; "Way to go dewey, Way to go!"