Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Riding the Velodrome


8.8.06 - What a rush! Ted and I went down to the velodrome at the National Sports Center in Blaine for the introductory classes. Having never ridden a fixed-gear bike before, I was pretty intimidated...and that was before I even rode on the banked track! Luckily, confidence came quickly, and by the end of the 3-hour class (sorry Honey, I'll be home late!) we were flying around the curves. It's really cool to feel the G-Forces pushing you down into the 43-degree banking. It's like riding a rollercoaster...only a lot more work. 3 classes left and I can start racing!

I think racing on the track will suit me a lot better than road racing. I don't think I have a slow-twitch fiber in my body, so the short fast races should be great! Instead of fighting nature, I'll work with what I have for once. What a novel idea...

No comments: