Friday, September 08, 2006

My first race at the 'drome

Last night was my first night of racing at the track. The schedule called for three races: A 10-lap scratch race, and miss-and-out, and a 40-lap points race.

I got to the track early and started warming up, and almost immediately heard the all-too-familiar psst-psst-psst of a flat tire. What the hell does one do with a flat tubular?! Nothing. One does nothing with a flat tubular. Luckily Bob let me use a front wheel from one of the rental bikes and I was back in business.

I knew exactly what was going to happen in the 10-lapper: Adam Mitchell was going to try to lead out Timmer for the win. I was in a bad position the whole race (right on the apron) and I couldn't get out until it was too late. I saw Adam (and a Flanders guy) break off the front, and I knew Timmer was coming soon. Half a lap later, there he went. I finally got out of the group and tried to bridge up, with Ted on my wheel. With one lap left, I flamed out big-time. Ted was able to come around me for 5th, and I held on for 8th with my legs screaming at me. Lesson learned: don't get boxed in!

On the miss-and-out, I really lacked the "eye of the tiger". I really just couldn't get myself motivated. I obviously have a lot to learn, because I kept getting pushed to the outside, so I was breaking wind most of the race. Once half the group (of 18 riders) had been pulled, I conceded that I'd been riding stupid and wouldn't be able to make much of a difference in the race, so I decided to save myself for the points race by dropping back and getting pulled.

What I didn't realize was that we had almost 2 hours before we were scheduled to race again. Knowing that we both had to get up early for work and kids, Ted and I decided to skip the points race and head out early. Well, not THAT early...it was still 9:30 by the time we left.

Overall, I thought it went pretty well. With more experience I think I'll be able to position myself better and make a difference in some of the races.

No comments: