Tuesday, November 11, 2008

May I Please Speak To Someone Who's Not Retarded?

I had to call a local car dealership this morning to find out if my wife's car is still under warranty. The guy in the service department needed the last 8 characters of the VIN to determine the warranty status, and what followed was one of the most frustrating conversations ever.

Me - OK, the last 8 characters are 4-F-0-0-2-3-2-9.
Guy - That's not coming up, are you sure that's right?
Me - Yes, I'm looking at it right now.
Guy - Sir, you gave me 9 digits.
Me - No I didn't
Guy - Yes sir, you did.
Me - OK, repeat them to me.
Guy - 4-F-0-0-2-3-3-2-9.
Me - You have two 3's in a row, there should only be one
Guy - So, it should be 4-F-0-0-2-3-2-9-3? That's 10 digits.
Me - Did I say that? No. Let me read it do you again. 4-F-0-0-2-3-2-9.
Guy - 4-F-0-0-2-3-3-2-9.
Me - You still have two 3's in a row, there should only be one.
Guy - so it's 4-F-0-0-2-2-3-2-9?
Me - No, now you have two 2's in a row. Look at the number you have. You see where it says "22"? Cross out one of those 2's.
Guy - Is it supposed to be a 3?
Me - ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Let's start over. One letter at a time.
4-----F-----0-----0-----2-----3-----2-----9.
Guy - 4-F-0-0-2-3-3-2-9? That's still 9 digits.
Me - *Sigh* Oh, I know the problem...I must have read you one too many 3's. Could you please remove one of those? I think it'll be right then.
Guy - Yep, that worked! Those VIN numbers are kind of hard to read, aren't they?
Me - Uh...Yeah, you bet! Thanks SO much for your help.

Why let this guy talk to people on the telephone? WHYYYYYY?????

1 comment:

Meow said...

Wow, T., you are a LOT more patient than I could ever be....the 2nd time they get it wrong....'can you PLEASE put someone on who knows WTF they're doing??!!'