Friday, July 09, 2010

Upgrade Time!

I sold my carbon road wheels on E-Bay, so now I need to do some upgrades to my road bike. I love the bike, but I don't think the 105 components can quite handle me. I've had the dérailleurs adjusted several times, and it still skips gears every time I do an out-of-the-saddle jump, even at 80%. It's gotten to the point that I don't even like riding it, which is a shame because it's fucking awesome.

So, I'm hoping that upgrading the shift/brake levers and rear dérailleur to Ultegra will remedy the issue. Who knows, maybe it's just the dérailleur. Maybe I should try that first.

I'm also thinking about upgrading my wheels. I'm riding the Cane Creek Volos right now, and they're actually pretty sweet. They weigh just over 1500 grams and are relatively stiff, but they don't look super-cool. When you only ride a bike a couple times a month, looking super-cool is imperative. I've pretty much stopped paying attention to road components, so I don't don't what's cool anymore. Ksyriums used to be pretty much king shit. Are they still?

Lastly, and it pains me to say it, I may have to swap out my Cav-wannabe Pro bars. I need something with a flatter top and better transition to the shifters. My fat hands keep falling asleep.

1 comment:

tman said...

T, just ride the dang thing! (Like you used to.) By the way didn't you hear, looking uncool IS the new cool. Why else would people drink PBR out of can.