Thursday, July 01, 2010

A Wee Bit O' Progress

Franz and I went to the track for Developmental Time Trials on Monday, and my expectations were low. I mostly just wanted to get some track time.

Warm-up went well and I was feeling pretty good, but there was a stiff headwind on the backstretch, which generally means slower times. I had made a deal with myself (gotta have incentive) that if I didn't break 11.5, I would ride a pursuit.

My first flying 200 felt fast and I finished strong, but my time was a mediocre 11.83. I got in line to go again, and this time rolled an 11.78. Hell, any progress is good news at this point!

The best part was that I feel like my fitness is improving and I was putting down power all the way to the line.

Not being one to make deals I don't keep, I lined up for my pursuit. Since I'm a Masters racer now, I was doing the 3k. My goal was to ride 20-seconds laps. I succeeded in that for the first 5 laps, until I realized that I was less than halfway done. So I backed off a little. Then a little more. Then a little more, until I was getting passed by caterpillars in the infield grass.

I finished well over the 4-minute mark, but it was a good experience nonetheless. And hey, I even beat a couple people!

Racing tonight should be fun. Some fasties from the Trinidad and Tobago national team are in Blaine training, so hopefully they'll grace us with their presence.

No comments: