Monday, May 05, 2008

Tenacious T: Food Critic

My wife and a I get a lot of shit because every time we go out to eat, we go to PF Chang's in Maple Grove. We've tried several other places, but always end up disappointed.

When we saw a review of Twin Cities restaurants that rated Rainbow Chinese above PF Chang's, we had to try it.

It was underwhelming to say the least.

We started out with some Shanghai Wontons, which were excellent. They were one of the more delicious things I've had in my mouth recently. There were some little round black things on the plate that looked like black beans, but tasted kind of like peanut butter. When I asked our server what they were, she replied, "Black beans". OK, but they don't taste like black beans. "They're fermented." OK, ewwwww.

The sake was acceptable, though I admittedly don't know shit about it.

The main course was really disappointing. I ordered Ginger and Garlic Chicken, which ended up being something akin to chicken nuggets in Arby's sauce.

My wife got Kung Pao Chicken, and it was essentially tasteless.

White rice is the only option...no brown rice available.

Overall, the food lacked any kind of distinctive qualities. It was very generic.

The total bill was around $15 less than a similar meal at PF Chang's, but I'll gladly pay more for food that I can actually get excited about.

No comments: