Thursday, August 13, 2009

Could It Be?

It was an insignificant bike ride. I just wanted to get out of the house and enjoy a beautiful day. But something was different. Could this be "the ride"? The ride I needed to get me back on track? The ride I need to say, "Hey, this is what you love to do. What you need to do"?

There was nothing special about the ride. It was just over an hour. It wasn't long. I averaged just under 30kph. It wasn't fast. It was hot out. I ran out of water. I was dripping sweat on my top tube. There was a detour that sent me 10 miles out of my way.

No, by all accounts, there was nothing special about this ride.

Yet, there was.

The "inconvenient" detour sent me down some of the most idyllic, peaceful roads I've ever ridden on. Roads that were lined with trees, providing much-needed shade. Rolling terrain that seemed to go on forever. My pedal stroke became smoother. My breathing became easier. A smile spread across my face. I powered over hills and ripped down the other side.

I started to love the bike again. And the feeling stayed with me.

I don't know why. I wasn't even supposed to ride yesterday. Maybe it was - dare I say - fate. Maybe the thought that the State Match Sprint tournamement was going on without me spurred something in my subconscious. But I have a simpler explaination...it was time.

Fuck yeah. It's time.

5 comments:

Brian said...

...or maybe the alien hematoma has finally spread to your brain.

JT said...

welcome back!

Russian Bear said...

Here is the quick report

Hot and very dry and windy. May a tongue looking like bark.

Top three times, top speed and gear

Lindstrom 11.4 67.7 88"
Ted 11.5 65.3 88"
Ferris 11.5 66.0 96"

Ferris ruled the sprints with little fuss. Lindstrom and Ted no match for the Dark One.

Ted went three rides in a losing effort to a very fit Doobie brother.

You were missed and I am sure you missed it. Though frankly, it was an all day sucker and even family members were leaving early.

Meow said...

Fuck Yah is right!!! See ya soon!!

Franz said...

When were you going to share this with me:( I am always the last to know