Tuesday, October 20, 2009

My Hangover Is Finally Gone

I spent the weekend down in Rochester for my cousin's wedding. It was his 2nd wedding in 6 years, but his wife's first. Not sure what the rules are on that, but they had a big wedding anyway, which I thought a bit strange. Same groomsmen, same church, different wife. Anyway...

It took us for-fucking-ever to get there because we had to make several stops on the way, then we tried a GPS-suggested shortcut which put in right into 6 miles of bumper-to-bumper traffic with stoplights on ever block. FAIL.

The reception was a lot of fun. I don't get down to see that side of my family as often as I should, so it was nice to spend some time with them. We just found out the terrible news that my grandpa's cancer has returned, so that was incredibly depressing. He's on some experimental drugs that will hopefully put the cancer into remission without chemo. We'll see.

The kids were crazy dancing fools, but had to head up to the hotel room and go to bed at around 9 because they were having melt-downs on the dance floor. Kristin was nice enough to take them to bed and let me hang with my fam.

Aside from my grandparents, hanging with that side of the family is a bit awkward. I don't really think most of them care for me very much, so it's a bit weird. In fact, at this particular cousin's first wedding, they did family pictures without us. Then gave out those family pictures at Christmas.

At the reception, I faced a conundrum. I don't like cheap beer, but they had kegs of free Miller Light. Mixed drinks were $5. My cheapness outweighed my disdain for gut-rot and I compromised by alternating beer-drink-beer-drink. I didn't feel like I drank that much, but I must have because I sure didn't feel well Sunday morning!

Lots of bad health-related news in my family recently. As I mentioned, my grandpa's cancer is back. My uncle's new wife is currently undergoing tests for what they believe to be Lou Gehrig's disease. One of my niece's good friends just died of cancer. It's all very depressing.

My health screen at work revealed that I may be predisposed to hypoglycemia, which explains my heart palpitations and feelings of lightheadedness lately. So much for cutting sugar out of my diet!

We took the kids for flu shots on Sunday. What a cluster-fuck. Max was flipping his shit, and Addi sobbed for like 45 minutes afterwards. 25% of Max's class is out sick this week, so we're hoping those damn shots work fast!

I'm just a big downer today I guess. There's gotta be something good happening, right? Oh yeah, I'm going to go get a new phone, the Motorola Cliq. It better rock my socks off.
I've been putting off getting a new phone because there always seems to be a better one just around the corner. I think that's just going to be the reality. No matter what phone I get there will always be a better one in a couple months. My Blackberry has been dropping calls like crazy lately, so it's time to upgrade.

No comments: