Thursday, November 05, 2009

Google vs. Bing, A Real-World Test

When I was out in Boston last week, I was sitting in a bar with a couple guys from Microsoft. They with their Windows Mobile phones and I with my Google Android phone. There were a few lighthearted jabs at each others' chosen mobile platforms and several remarks about Google vs. Bing and the much-ballyhooed "Decision Engine". Yes, we had some chuckles, but which is better when it comes to real-world functionality?

Later in the night a commercial came on the TV in the bar featuring Garth from 'Wayne's World'. It's the scene where he's in the laundromat, and the Microsoft guy couldn't remember what song played at that point in the movie. So he did what any tech-dork would do and pulled out his phone.

After about 5 minutes of searching Bing, he hadn't turned anything up. I checked Google on my phone and found my answer in the first search result. It took less than 15 seconds from the time I pulled my phone out of my pocket.

The Microsoft guy was speechless.

Google built their reputation on the power of their search engine, and Microsoft tried to play catch-up by dumping a ton of resources into a product that was supposed to be competitive, if not better. After using it a bit, I've gotta give it a 'C+'.

It's probably fine for the "big 3" search categories of shopping, travel, and health, but beyond that I'm not sold.

I honestly think it's too little, too late. Google has become a verb, and I think Microsoft wasted their money.

No comments: