Sunday, June 13, 2010

Much Better

It's amazing how much of a difference an attitude adjustment can make. I had a great day today, despite sucking in my first race, and I even pulled out a win (with a little help, of course)!

I started out with a 6-lap sprint for 9th. My racing tactics have gone out the fuckin' window, and for some reason I felt that I had to close every gap myself, so I was cooked by the time I should have been sprinting for the line. I ended up getting 2nd-to-last. Yay.

So, there are a few things I need to work on desperately. Tactics and patience. I really paid close attention to what the best riders were doing today, and it sure ain't what I'm doing! I'm guessing (hoping) this will come back with more races. I used to have the killer instinct for this shit, I just need to find it again. A little endurance wouldn't hurt, either. And being less of a fatty.

I then sat around for like 5 hours until the Team Sprint. We ended up getting the win with a horse-shit time of 51.1. Our 3rd guy was overlapping my rear wheel a bit when I pulled up, so he had to backpedal and re-accelerate, which probably cost us a second or so. That could have ended badly. I felt like I faded pretty hard on my lap, but every effort I do will make me faster.

The racing was awesome today. Usually I get bored watching races I'm not in, but I was truly drawn in by the action today. 19-year-old superstar Boltin' Colton Barret kicked some serious ass, winning the men's overall endurance omnium. He's got a big future ahead of him. I'm not certain he realized how good he is. Colby Pearce took 2nd, and Adam Bergman took 3rd. It's nice to see the local guys score some results.

In the sprint omnium, Ferris took 3rd, Jason Garner took 2nd, and Matt Baronoski took the win. Here he is lying on the ground after the madison. I'm sure glad I didn't race that shit.

In the women's omnium, Cari Higgins dominated the whole weekend. Yep, that pretty much sums it up. Here's a shitty photo of the women's podium.

I came away from this weekend with a new motivation and several things to work on. It should be a fun summer. It feels good to have goals again.

No comments: