Sunday, December 31, 2006

Go Back to Blink!


Why is it that members of perfectly good bands feel the need to start crappy side projects? In the last 2 weeks, I have wasted $19.98 at iTunes because of former members of Blink 182 (I say 'former', because, since they're putting out a Greatest Hits album, I assume they are done for). Back in 2002, Tom and Travis did a CD called Boxcar Racer, which was pretty good. Same goes with Travis's stint in The Aquabats -- The Superheroes of Punk.

Unforturtunately, I cannot say the same for Tom's latest effort, Angels and Airwaves. What garbage. I actually called iTunes to see if they offered refunds. They don't. It sounds kinda like Blink 182...if they started taking estrogen pills. Tom's whiny voice over a bunch of wimpy insrumentals. Ugh.

Meanwhile, Mark and Tavis started +44, which, while not nearly as bad, is still pretty crappy.

But, they got my money, which is the whole point, right? Why try to write good music when people will buy your album regardless? Is it greed? Boredom? Complacency? Whatever it is, it should stop.

The only side project band I've really come to enjoy is A Perfect Circle, but that's to be expected, because everything Maynard touches is gold.

No comments: