Wednesday, December 27, 2006

The Surly gets Fixed

I finally got around to converting the Cross-Check to a fixed-gear. I gotta say, it turned out awesome. I love the ride. It should (hopefully) make winter riding a little more tolerable. I'm rocking a 45x17 gear, which seemed a little small on my maiden voyage, but I'm going to give it another week or so and decide if I want to change.

I would venture to guess that this is one of the only steel fixies around with carbon cranks. What can I say? They just happened to be sitting in my garage...

It's nice to have a fixie other than my track bike, cuz who wants to ride a pure-bred velodrome machine in the snow?

Also, I went to GCCS today and checked out Grandstay's new bikes...pretty damn sweet! Big Jim's 61cm came in at 15 lbs.

Very tempting, but I'm thinking about blowing my bike fund on a new set of wheels. Decisions, decisions....

2 comments:

SickBoy said...

Is that a 650c front wheel or is there something goofy about the camera angle in that pic?

Tenacious T said...

Camera angle...I guess it does look a little odd. Waddaya think I'm turning into Ferris?