Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Apple Duathlon - always a bridesmaid


Saturday saw the continuation of our not-winning streak in the Apple Duathlon. My friend Ryan and I have done this race as a relay 5 years in a row, and we got second this year. Again.

Even with the crappy conditions we were able to better our time from last years' race by over 4 minutes, so I guess I have no complaints. I had the 5th fastest bike time out of 48 teams and Ryan had the 2nd fastest times on both runs. Nice! I felt strong for the first 12 miles, but had a hard time keeping my head in the race going into the headwind on the finishing stretch.

One of the relay teams had their runner go AWOL, so the mayor of Sartell stepped up to run in his stead. That is one cool-ass mayor!

Former roadie hot-shot Eric Hanson was there, and he didn't even try to fight anyone in the transition area this year. I thought that was very big of him.

Fellow Loonie Tom Manderfeld kicked my ass on the bike by almost 2 minutes. We need to get him out on the road, because he will dominate.

The overall men's winner broke the course record by over 2 minutes. That is insane. This is one of the premier duathlons in the country, with $4K in prize money split between the top three finishers, so it's not like he was at some podunk backcountry race. Like I said, that is insane.

No comments: