Friday, May 18, 2007

First Race Night

Overall, racing went better than expected last night, even though I kinda got screwed on the last race of the night.

The first race was a 10-lap scratch race. I'd been putting a lot of pressure on myself to win this one...I just needed to validate all the damn training I've been doing over the winter. With just over 5 laps to go, Timmer says "Let's go". When Timmer tells you it's time to go, it's fuckin' time to go! I hopped on his wheel for a few laps and was in second position coming into the final lap. I sprinted out of turn 2 and took the win. Big props to Timmer, because he essentially gifted me the win. Thanks bro.

By this time everyone was hacking shit out of their lungs. Gotta love the first race of the season!

The next race was a Miss & Out. Apparently I'm completely unable to focus on what's going on around me, because I got pulled halfway through the race. I thought there were still 2-3 guys back behind me, but I guess not! Ted ended up in second...not bad for a race he hadn't planned to do well in.

Ted and I conspired with Timmer to try to take a lap on the field in the final race of the night, a points race. Timmer led us out right after the first sprint lap, and Ted sacrificed himself to help us tag back on to the back of the pack. I heard the announcer say that we had gained 20 points by lapping the field, so I just sat in the group for the rest of the race. I did take 3rd in one sprint, while Timmer was off the front all by himself for the entire race. I figure this assured me second place in the race and a win in the omnium.

It was not to be. The officials had decided not to give us the lap, so the only points I got were for one 3rd place sprint for 5th overall in the race. The only explanation I was given was "Bob said you guys took a lap, but he was wrong, and I'm sorry if it affected your race." Shit.

I still took 3rd in the omnium, and should have enough points to upgrade to Cat 3 within the next few weeks.

4 comments:

Gilby said...

Great racing last night!!

Tenacious T said...

Right back atcha...you dominated!

T3 said...

I hope you upgrade soon so there is more room on the track. No one can get around you and your gigantic thighs. What do you squat, a micro-bus?

Nice meeting you. See you around.

Anonymous said...

i too thought we had the lap and was content to sit in