Thursday, May 17, 2007

Why I'm a Sprinter

Aside from the fact that it's where my natural inclination lies, there are a few reasons I prefer sprinting:

  • Transparency: For the most part, I can tell what I'm up against. In distance sports, the best athletes never seem to "look like athletes". It hurts my ego to get beat by a guy who's 130 lbs and looks like he just left chess practice. Sprinting, it's generally the guy with the big legs who looks like he'd be fast.
  • Distance: I do not like to suffer for long periods of time. I can hurt REALLY bad for a short amount of time, but I am not a long-suffering fella.
  • Speed: I like going fast. It amuses me.
  • Vanity: I get to lift weights as part of my cycling training. If I can be good at biking and not look like The Chicken, I'm happy.
  • Time Commitments: My workouts are generally 45 minutes or less. With two kids and a job, this fits well into my daily life.
  • Intensity: I'm a bit of a spaz, and I need an outlet for my energy. Giving 100% in a sprint seems to de-spaz me right quick.

1 comment:

Gilby said...

Spot on! I particularly like the part about 45 minute workouts versus 3 hour death marches.

I feel like I'm a bit too scrawny to be a sprinter. But I'm built more like Pendleton than Reed, and guess which one is the world champ?