Sunday, May 20, 2007

Hello Velo, LSC 1-2-3

Where the hell was everyone? The 4/5 field was half the size of the Thursday night race, and the 3's barely had enough bodies to run 2 heats in their sprint race.

The first race of the night was the standard 10-lap scratch race. I wasn't feeling very warmed up, so I was hanging out at the back of the pack, letting everyone else reel in the breakaway attempts. Coming into the bell lap, I was about 4 riders high, and I knew it was now or never. The group was starting to get pretty sketchy, so I went really high up over the top and realized that Ted and I had a good gap. I wasn't about to work my ass off to contest a sprint against Ted, so I held his wheel and he towed me across the line for a 1-2 finish. Alex took 3rd. Nice showing for LSC!

Next up was the Chariot prelims. I was riding for redemption, because the last time I raced a Chariot I made some tactical errors and ended up getting boxed out. I got the jump off the line and was leading on the first lap. I looked back and saw that Timmer was up at the rail. I wasn't about to wait around for him to take advantage of the banking. I hit it hard - much earlier than I wanted to - and ended up winning by a decent margin.

One energy drink later, and I was ready for the finals. Our first attempt got restarted because a guy tipped over at the start. Oops. Restart. Coming around the first turn, I'm on the outside with D. Wold trying to hold me up-track. Fuck it, time to go! I came down around the field and held on for the win. Alex was 2nd, and Ted 3rd, for another LSC 1-2-3.

The last race of the night was an "Unknown Distance". I gambled and lost...big-time. A group of about 6 of us broke off the front, with Timmer leading the charge. We were working well together, and I was praying to hear the gun. I took a chance on the bell lap coming up soon, and decided to really push the pace when I got on the front. No go. I finally got to the point where I knew that even if they rang the last lap I wouldn't have anything left to give, so I sat up. They rang the bell on the very next lap (go figure). Timmer took the win, with Alex in 2nd. I limped in somewhere around 10th place.

I got the win in the omnium, with Alex 2nd and Ted 3rd. Seems the Cat 3 field could benefit from a few more riders, and I know 3 Loonies who'd love to join 'em.

3 comments:

Skibby said...

you guys have got to be close, check with Bob...

Anonymous said...

Without Mulruny and Dan Currel in the 4 & 5's next Thursday. 4,5 racing might be rather anticlimatic.

Tenacious T said...

Did Currel get upgraded, too?