Friday, July 06, 2007

Race Report with Video

Tonight couldn't have gone better for me...kinda. I won the first two races but got 2nd in the omnium. I guess it coulda been worse...I could've had to ride the entire 50-lap points race!

Noticeably missing from the field was Timmer. Apparently he has a life outside of cycling. Who knew?

First up was an Unknown Distance Race. I hate this race because, well, I don't know the distance. The mistake I've made in the past was that I took a chance on guessing when the gun was going to go. Not this time. I stayed in 3rd-4th wheel until the gun. Currell (who will be known as "The DGC" from now on because I like the sound of it) jumped right away and I got on his wheel. We immediately pulled a good gap on the rest of the field, and I was able to come around on the home stretch to take the win by less than a wheel. That was a tough race.

I've said this before, but I love the Chariot race. My first heat was a complete cluster-fuck. I didn't have any other sprinters in my qualifying heat, so I was feeling pretty confident. My plan was to sit in on the first lap and sprint the second, trying not to use up too much energy before the finals. I don't know what the hell I did, but I ended up getting boxed in up at the rail and I had to work my ass off (coming from waaaayyyyy back) just to take 3rd.

The Chariot finals went much better, as evidenced in this video:

Thanks to The DGC for the video.


That's me winning. The video kind of speaks for itself. The DGC went hard from the gun, and I came around on the last lap. That's Ted in 3rd, making his triumphant return to the track after last week's crash.

We also have a video of the Chariot start where Ted's wheel slipped in the dropouts, but that's not nearly as exciting as seeing me win.

The last race of the night was a 50-lap points race. The schedule got switched up so this race was about 2 minutes after the Chariot finals. I cramped up after 6 laps and had to pull out. The DGC ended up winning, which gave him the omnium win. Consistency pays off! Lionel Space was winning for most of the race, but then, as if he didn't even care about my omnium victory, he ended up in 2nd.

There was some bad news...Ferris went down in the Madison. He seemed to be alright and was in decent spirits when I left, but it's never fun to see anyone crash. Especially a guy as nice as Chris. Hopefully he's back next week. After dominating the 1/2 races, he's gotta be feeling good about his performance.

No comments: