Thursday, July 05, 2007

Source Control

This one's for my geeks out there.

What the hell is wrong with Source Control these days? It used to be that you just used Visual Source Safe, and you were fine. It's straight-forward, easy to use, and only occasionally corrupts your files.

If you want something really robust (or you're not using MS products for development) use IBM Rational Clearcase. Nearly impossible to teach someone to use, but it works like a dream.

There is absolutely no excuse for the use of horse-shit apps like StarTeam (don't even get me started on the Web Edition), Perforce, or whatever-the-hell-else the anti-conformist Dev Leads decide we should use.

I've spent 3 days this week fighting with StarTeam, so needless to say I'm a tad pissed off.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Clearcase is near and dear to my heart so obviously I favor that, but if you can't use that, it seems that Subversion is the next logical choice....

Tenacious T said...

I was going to mention that, but I'm in a pissy mood and mentioning the few that actually work could have the negative side-effect of making me happy.

T3 said...

StarTeam == Gay

Anonymous said...

Dude, I feel your pain. We have a corporate standard on StarTeam at our company and have been dying to get onto AccuRev for two years (typically the most logical replacement for ClearCase/UCM), but would fit in great with our development process. My only advice is get a demo of AccuRev source control and your manager (and hopefully you) will be so blown away that you'll be able to champion its cause. Good luck!