Friday, June 13, 2008

Thursday Night Recap

We had a rather small turnout last night, but the racing was still lots of fun. After the FGC it became apparent that I need to work on my race tactics and track presence, so my plan for the night was to mix it up in all the races and work on positioning. The longer races kick my ass, but I gotta do it.

The first race of the night was a 15-lap scratch race. Let me rephrase that. The first race of the night was the world's slowest 15-lap scratch race. At least the first half was. Nothing really happened until the last 6 laps, when a break by Smithers was countered by Dubay, who got a way for a bit. It all came together with 2 to go, and Kruse attacked and stayed away for the win. I was in 2nd coming into the homestretch when Ferris magically appeared on my wheel. Dude's like a freakin' ninja or something...I won't see him the whole race, then BAM!, he's right there. Uncanny. Anyway, he beat me to the line, and I took 3rd.

This mural can be found in the McDonald's across the road from the track.

Our second race was an unknown Miss & Out. I used some top-secret tactics (don't be last), kept myself from getting boxed in, and was able to come away with the win. Huh? That's not supposed to happen! Now I don't have the "I suck at M&O" excuse anymore. Crap. It feels good though, because it means I actually raced smart for once.

Due to small field sizes, the 1/2/3 fields were combined for a 60-lap points race at the end of the night. I only had about 5 minutes to recover from the Miss and Out, which proved to not be enough. The race was fast from the gun. JJJ attacked early to claim the first sprint, and I took 2nd. After that, the pace ramped up even more. I dangled on the back for a while, but my legs were cooked and I had to bag it. I take some pride in knowing that almost half the field didn't make it to the finish.

My 3rd and 1st place finishes were enough to get me the omnium win, which is always fun.

Dubay's mom brought cake because Ben is 25 now. I love cake.

No comments: