Friday, March 27, 2009

In Case You're Living In A Hole...

The World Track Championships are going on this week. Although I haven't been able to see any of the streaming video, I'm getting excited just checking the (almost) live results.

Here's some of the highlights so far.
  • The British Team Sprint team got smoked by France in the finals, proving how much they need Chris Hoy. Plus, what's up with their skinsuits? I've seen tighter necklines on strippers.
  • Despite having 2 riders in the keirin finals, GB once again failed to secure a medal. Max Levy from Germany was the winner. I have a feeling GB is training right through the World Champs on a long ramp-up for the 2012 Olympics. Either that, or they've lost their edge.
  • 18-year-old Taylor Phinney became the first Male US World Track Champion in 13 years, breaking his own American Record on the way. I'm not gonna lie, I was skeptical of this kid when he first came on the scene. It just seemed like there was too much hype for him to ever live up to. I think yesterday he exceeded any expecations anyone ever had for him. He's legit. And has an awesome name.
  • My boy Cavendish got lapped in the scratch race and finished 7th. He's still got the Madison to try to redeem himself.
  • Simona Krupeckaite set a world record in the 500m TT with a 33.296. As a comparison, that's faster than the first 500m of any team sprint I've ever been a part of. And she's a chick. And she didn't use aerobars. Craziness.
  • Just now, the (reigning World Champion) GB Team Pursuit team failed to qualify for the gold medal race.


4 comments:

(dis)pencer said...

wasn't Reed a USA world champ last year?

SickBoy said...

I believe T forgot to qualify that as "male" world champ. Reed and Sarah Hammer have both won world titles recently...

Tenacious T said...

Busted...I basically just stole the headline off FGF and mistakenly omitted 'Male'.

Tenacious T said...

Edited for correctness