Monday, February 22, 2010

Weekend

I had a busy ass weekend. Friday was Max's school play. He played the Lazy Duck. For a bunch of 2nd graders, the kids were awesome!
Saturday I went ice fishing with Max and my nephew. We caught one fish, but it was the first Northern I've caught through the ice, so that was pretty sweet.
As soon as I got home, I learned of a home furnishing auction downtown. I loaded up the wife in the family truckster and went out in search of cheap leather couches. By the time we got there, they were down to only a few pieces of furniture left. I was a bit concerned when pairs of pillows started selling for $50. WTF? Don't people know they're supposed to be cheap at auctions?

This guy was running shit. You can see the couch I wanted against the wall behind him.
By the time they got to "my" couch, I could tell it wasn't going to go well. Some of those crazies had been there all day, and they were determined to get a damn couch. Thusly (hey, that was a fun word to say!), they bid my couch up to twice what all the other couches went for. Fuckers.

In all, the experience was stressful as hell. I'd never been to an auction before. Well, not a real one anyway. I don't think I'll go again. Kinda freaked me the hell out.

Later that night was the holiday party for Kristin's work. It was held at a bar downtown, where I was informed there would be an "amazing country band". While that is a blatant oxymoron, I had a good time regardless.
Well, I had a good time for the first few hours anyway. I had to drive the babysitter home, so I did the get-drunk-early-and-ride-it-out technique. It was awesome until I tried to ride it out. I think I was already hung over by 11:00 PM. Stupid vodka/red bulls.

I kind of wish they they still allowed smoking in bars. At least it wouldn't smell like piss and desperation. Fuck, there are some pitiful people out there, but I won't go there today.

No comments: