Friday, August 31, 2007

Race Recap

Damn, it felt good to be racing again! I only got to do 2 races tonight, since I'm not "Madison Certified", but it was still a blast. I even took 2nd in the omnium on my first night of racing as a Cat 2!

Our first race was a 15-lap Tempo. I utilized my patented 3-lap sprint method to get the first 6 points of the race, then promptly got dropped and lapped. I lost all my points because of it, but I still somehow ended up in 5th place in the race. Don't ask me how. I'll never understand the scoring system of a tempo race. I probably wouldn't have gotten lapped, but I was so blown up from the first 3 laps that every time I had someone to work with I fucked it up. Oxygen debt does strange things to a guy.

The second and final race of the night was a Win & Out. I was hoping to win this one, because I knew I'd be fucked if I didn't get the first sprint. I knew Ferris was the guy to beat in this race, so I marked him for the first lap, then got the jump on him coming into the bell lap. I pedalled my ass off till I was cross-eyed and came away with the win. Ferris held on for second then proceed to flop around on the ground like a Crappie for 45 minutes after the race. Man, can that guy dig deep!

Franz won the Cat 3 State Keirin in a close finish. This is his 4th gold medal of the year. Nice work! You know what they say about Masters riders and their medals...

I'll post videos of the Keirin later today.

Frye came out for his first night of racing and did a nice job, and even had a solo crash! He clearly had plenty of fitness, and will pick up on the tactics quickly. The short races require you to ride a lot more aggressively and not worry about conserving energy for later. It generally takes a couple races to figure it all out.

It was an awesome night, and I'm a little bummed that we're almost at the end of the season.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

flopping around like a crappie.. good one man.. dig deep or act? i can bury myself and flop around like a brook trout; short and sweet..