Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Track Kids

I counted no less than 4 second-generation bike racers at Nationals. Children of National/World/Olympic Champions. That's crazy. I can't imagine the pressure those kids must feel to live up to the expectations and accomplishments of their parents.

There were a lot of young racers (17-21) in attendance, which meant there were a lot of parents who, presumably, are supporting these young riders.

What was interesting to me was the way the different parents handled themselves. Some weren't even at the venue, some stayed in the stands, some roamed the pit, and some coddled their young'ens to the point that even the spectators were expressing embarrassment.

I don't know what kind of parent I'd be if my son was an Elite-Level athlete. I hope I would fall into the realm of offering "just enough" support. Whatever the hell that means.

No comments: