Friday, July 10, 2009

Goals

I'm someone who, traditionally, needs to set goals in order to be motivated to do anything. Anything at all. Ya know, other than sit around like a bump on a stump. When I started cycling 7 years ago (has it really been that long???), these goals basically set themselves. Pick an event, train for it. Nevermind that I wasn't particularly successful early in my career. I was motivated and determined, and that was enough.

As I got more serious, the goals became more specific, which made my motivation more focused. Break 12 seconds. Get my Cat 3 upgrade. Get my Cat 2 upgrade. Win the state match sprints. Repeat. Team Sprint track record. Get on the podium at Elite Nationals. Break the track record in the flying 200.

Since I've been laid up, I've had to set goals that seem minor to everyone else, but are significant in my mind. Walk without crutches. Wear normal pants. Walk normal. Rollerblade. Wakeboard. Pedal.

Not being able to be competitive in any type of athletics has been a real eye-opener. Luckily, I've been really busy with work, and have had several aggeressive project completion dates to work towards.

Lately, I've been lifting weights pretty consistently, with the somewhat vague goal of "look good naked". I'm very un-aero.

I guess I don't really know how to just float through life, but for the first time since I can remember I don't feel any sort of internal pressure pushing me towards something.

It's actually been quite refreshing. I've spending more time with my family, doing more varied activities, and am just more relaxed in general. I still can't manage to keep up on my fucking lawn, though.

Hmmm. When I starte writing this I felt like I had a point to make. I guess not. Oh well, I'm off to try to land a flip on the wakeboard.

3 comments:

Jake said...

It's a sad day for anyone when they set a goal of rollerblading.

Tenacious T said...

You're tellin' me.

L. Pharmstrong said...

When I began riding I learned to set goals, "train off" inject, infuse, and repeat.

With proper dosaging, timing, and of course the strongest team in the race by far any top goals are achievable. You need to organize your "program" and focus on a specific time period of infusions and peaking.