Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Twitter Is Easy

I'm starting to see the appeal of Twitter: It's easy.

Unlike blogging, where some sort of thought/insight is required, Twitter only requires that you state what you're doing. "On my way to the race". There, I contributed.

Yesterday, an old lady at the grocery store decided that I was a "fucker" because I "took all the goddamn sweet corn". I'm not going to scurry home and blog about this. In fact, being called a "fucker" is so common for me that it's essentially a non-event. I probably would have forgotten about it before firing up Blogger. However, I was able to tweet this event from my Blackberry.

I also like the fact that the past-tense of "tweet" is "twat". OK, maybe not, but I can dream!

It's human nature to do as little work as possible to accomplish a goal. It takes very little work to be part of the Twitter "community". Much less than is involved in blogging.

Don't get me wrong, it's fun. It really is. However, there ends up being a lot of "filler" posts. "Eating breakfast". Ok, then. But, that's the spirit of Twitter.

Twitter also seems to be using some cheesy-ass servers that are constantly overloaded, resulting in the "Fail Whale".
They really need to get their shit together there. Otherwise, it's pretty idiot-proof.

I don't feel that Twitter is the life-altering technology that the media wants it to be, but it can be fun. And for most of us, that's probably good enough.

1 comment:

Ben said...

"Unlike blogging, where some sort of thought/insight is required. . ."

Um. . .