Thursday, September 03, 2009

Sony Vaio NW Series - First Impressions


Fist things first: Yes, I know it looks like a MacBook.

OK, moving on...

My 6-year-old iBook has been on its last leg for quite some time now, and I finally decided it was time to upgrade. The price of a new Mac was a huge deterrent (as well as the fact that I'm just, well, over it) and there are several nicely-spec'd PCs for well under $1000. I started doing some research and settled on 3 similarly-priced laptops. A Toshiba, an HP, and a Sony. I refuse to buy a Dell because of that infuriating "Lollipop" commercial.

When I went to check them out in person, the Toshiba had an awkward keyboard layout. All the keys were completely flat, with no contours, and felt awkward. There was a 10-key pad squished in on the right side, and the touchpad was off-center. Overall, it just didn't seem quite right.

The HP had some bullshit artist-edition circle design on the case. Any company that would pull that shit does not deserve my money.

Then I saw the Sony. Sleek, light, and beautiful. It was about half the thickness of the other two and has all the features I wanted, plus a Blu-Ray player. Intel Core 2 Duo 2.1, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB hard drive.

The only units they had in stock had already been "optimized" by their tech support team, and the charge would be $70. Are you fucking kidding me? I'm not paying $70 to have some teenager remove the bloatware from my laptop. I had to speak to (read: yell at) a manager, and they finally decided to waive the fee. Fuckers.

But I walked out with a pimped-out machine for 1/3 the price of a MacBook.

First impressions are positive, but not great. It wasn't quite as fast as I had hoped it would be, but after disabling Sony's proprietary applications and turning off the shitty virus scan it runs much smoother. I thought this fucker was optimized????

I was going to install Windows 7 on it today, but will likely wait another couple weeks, mostly because I don't feel like dealing with it.

There's a pretty cool "instant-web" feature (not sure if that's really what it's called, but that's what it does. The software is called SplashTop). With the laptop powered down, I can push this button and a small Linux distro will load and run a web browser. It takes about 5 seconds, as opposed to a couple minutes of waiting for Windows to boot up.

Like I said, these are just first impressions. I like the design and the specs, but I'm not a big fan of proprietary software, which this laptop is loaded with. Once I'm able to load it up with my own apps, music, and photos, we'll see how it fares.

No comments: