Friday, January 18, 2008

Dear UPS Store, Blow Me.

[caution: foul language]

My newest nemesis is the asshat who owns the St. Cloud UPS Store. Occasionally, I have to go there because it's in a convenience location, and every time, without fail, they fuck me over.

Here's a list of my complaints, in no particular order.

  • The refused to offer insurance on a bike I was shipping because I boxed it myself. They wanted to re-box it (for $55). THIS IS HOW SHIPPING THINGS WORKS, COCKSUCKER. I PUT IT IN A BOX AND YOU FUCKING SHIP IT!
  • They wanted over $85 to ship said bike (with no insurance). They claim that their prices are the same as if I went out to the main UPS hub (which is like 20 miles away). Bull. Shit.
  • They charged me $18 to ship a set of Speedplay pedals to Illinois. $18!!!!! Are you fucking kidding me? They weigh less than a pound and are in a box the size of an iPod. I could drive them to Illinois myself for $18. I told Cocksucker I didn't want to ship the pedals through them anymore, and he refused to give them back because "they are in UPS possession now." I just asked for pricing!
  • Franz's Bianchi had to be shipped for warranty replacement, and The UPS Store charged the bike shop $68 to ship the GD frame! I just shipped a complete bike through FedEx for $30.
  • The owner of the UPS Store is one of those rude, condescending assholes that nobody likes. I have never talked to anyone who's had a pleasurable experience with him.

I was boycotting FedEx for a while due to a dispute over some customs charges (maybe I'm the problem?), but I now feel that they are the lesser of two evils.

I ship through SpeeDee whenever I can , but they only have a 6-state range, so they're not overly useful. They are cheap, though.

I'm so pissed off right now.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have shipped a ton of stuff for ebay: small packages: USPS priority mail. Large Packages: Fed Ex.

SickBoy said...

Yeah, I'm lucky enough to not be too far from the UPS hub down here on Broadway near Stinson. If I have to do UPS I do it through there.

To my understanding - the "UPS Store" is not actually UPS, it's a seperate entity and the higher prices are because they pay the same to ship stuff as we do (if we go direct).

I'm with jjj mostly, the Flat Rate Box for Priority Mail is an eBay godsend.... as are the Tyvek mailing bags.

Ben said...

Yeah, UPS sucks. We ship through the shop a lot. I love it when they charge my card more for extra fuel. WTF? I did it online, you should know how far you will have to drive.
Ben

Anonymous said...

Yep me too. USPS is by far the cheapest. I just shipped a pair of sidi shoes to latvia for less than $25.

Morgan W said...

Last year my roommate and I both got hit by a speedee truck while it ran a stop sign. I mean we ran into it but where in the right lane at the time. It was rather slow speed under 10 mph since all party's locked their brakes.

Super Rookie said...

what an asshat.

Anonymous said...

Wow, quit bitchin.' Seriously.

If your bike was damaged due to lack of packaging materials and neglegent packaging, UPS will not pay you a dime for your damaged package. They were trying to help you out.

UPS tell the UPS Stores what to charge on shipping. End of fucking story.

The only reason you had to pay $18 for shipping was maybe because it was going to a small city in Illinois.

Dude, what the fuck? Why are you going to leave your house and go to a store and not expect to pay for something.

How do I know all this? Well, I'm working at one right now. Almost two years now.

Quit your bitching, pay for it, and leave. Otherwise don't go back; go to the post office where they don't give two shits about your package.

Anonymous said...

Edgar, you are a fool.

I've had The UPS Store in my area tell me they charge exactly the same amount as the UPS Center does. They absolutely do not. This is about them lying. They lied to me, and they lied to the original poster.

Additionally, I know the cost of materials and of time, and $55 to pack up a bike (without shipping it) is ludicrous.

And how can you not have a major problem with the UPS Store owner saying the package was "in UPS custody" and refusing to return it, when all the guy wanted was a price quote? I would have jumped over the counter and taken it back had I been in his shoes.

Who's paying you to shill for The UPS Store?

Anonymous said...

No one is paying me to "shill" for the UPS Store. I don't like this UPS Store, and I'm pretty sure it's a crappy franchise.

Yeah, packaging may be expensive, but think about it, you're asking people to pack up YOUR items, and the boxes, peanuts, and bubble wrap are NOT cheap. So when people complain about the price, sometimes we have to accommodate their needs and lower our prices for them, thus making the business lose money.

UPS tells us EXACTLY what to charge. There is no surcharge added by us. I have no idea if UPS puts an extra charge on there, but based on MBE Customer Support, there is not one cent being charge extra.

I, honestly, have no idea what the whole deal is with the price quote. I didn't reply towards that. I don't know how a UPS Store owner would have a package without a label in the first place.

Either way, people should go to a UPS Store only when they need something packed and ship. If they don't like the price, go to another UPS Store. Not all charge the same for packaging and packaging materials.

Or go to FedEx. Just don't complain about it when they are plenty of other shippers out there.

Anonymous said...

UPS stores suck balls, they need to ditch all of them. I hate franchises like this that require the parent company to profit lots while passing all the risk onto the local business (and its local customers). I just shipped out a package for $81 at my local UPS store, thinking it was too high a price, I checked the ups website, and its $52, bullshit the prices are the same. Fuck UPS store and fuck all of those who rape people just trying to get a package out to someone. It probably wouldnt be so bad if there wasn't 5 fucking million ups stores, I swear they are nearly as common as starbucks now. They get so little business due to their own competition that they have to fuck everyone who comes in like a dog in heat.

End Rant.