Thursday, January 24, 2008

Laid Up. Again.

My offseason has thus far been rife with injuries. My weight training was progressing well, and I tweaked my lower back, which set me back a couple weeks.

Since then, my ribs have been giving me hell almost every week. I'm currently on the mend from yet another rib injury.

As far as I can tell, there's no way to strengthen the muscles between the ribs, so I don't know that there's much I can do except wait it out. It's really frustrating. That's probably the reason I've been so damn emotional lately. Seriously, it's like PMS or something.

My ergo should be here within the next few days, so I'm hoping that its arrival will coincide with my back feeling better. Then I can get back to the ass-kicking I'm accustomed to.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The muscles between the ribs are responsible for part of inhalation and exhalation(expansion and contraction of the rib cage. So... Contract your abdominals so you dont use your diaphragm for breathing and perform deep breaths to strengthen them. Or have franz sit on your chest and try to breath. If you are familiar with the transverse abdominus muscle, which is a primary muscle involved in lumbar spine stabilization, you should work that also. It will help protect your back and also tie in the ribs. My deadlift and squat went up a lot after I started to work the TA. Pelvic tilts, etc...

Tenacious T said...

Good info. Thanks!