Thursday, January 17, 2008

Side-By-Side Comparison

I've been using a wired computer on my track bike because the wireless models always seemed to have too much lag time. I also wanted to have the speed sensor on my rear wheel for trainer use. This led to some less-than-ideal setup, with the head unit mounted on the top tube.

I then ran the cord all the way back to the seatstay.

It takes about 7 zip-ties to do the job, and I don't really care for the look of it. Today I was in the bike shop and picked up a new CatEye Strada Wireless. I played around with it a bit, and they seem to have eliminated the lag time that had plagued other wireless computers, so I bought it.

Since I will soon have my ergo for indoor training, I'm no longer concerned about having the sensor on the rear wheel. I'm also able to mount the head unit on the stem.

I'll be doing side-by-side testing of the two units to make sure the new wireless version is up to par with the wired version (in terms of performance). You'd think that, as a computer programmer, I would have more faith in technology. However, it's because of that very reason that I don't.

1 comment:

(dis)pencer said...

sweet headset!