Thursday, February 28, 2008

The Day I Gave Up

I remember distinctly the day I learned that being a roadie just wasn't going to work out for me. We had piled 4 guys into Franz's super-SUV (this was back before his name was Franz), and headed down to the Henderson Time Trial.

Blah blah blah, Franz rolled off, blah blah blah, I rolled off. These events are unimportant.

What IS important is the speed at which some a-hole (who I later found out was Timmer) passed me after the turnaround. Literally, he flew by me like I was standing still. I've never been so demoralized in all my life.

Normally, something like that would motivate me, but the disparity in speed was so great that I knew there was basically no hope.

This seemingly insignificant event completely changed my perspective on the sport and my own abilities. This is what caused me to explore other avenues of the sport. So, Timmer, my track racing career (if you can call it that) is your fault. Thanks bro.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

oh thaks man no problem.. i suspect i got a nice 'sling-shot effect' off of you at henderson.. you're built for the track anyway.

Franz said...

NO you didn't his ass back then was not nearly as big:)

JimmerC said...

Your crazy. Think how much room you have for improvement?

Tenacious T said...

Jimmer,
At that time, I was training 12-15 hours/week and riding with all the Grandstay guys. Based on my available hours to train, there wasn't much more I could do.

I think I'm one of those VO2 max "non-responders" that some of the studies mention. I do the bike leg of a duathlon every summer and kind of use that as a litmus test. I've done it in years with tons of miles, years with very few miles, and years with only sprint-specific training, and my times are always within 1-2% of each other.

In 3 years on the road, I never even made the tiniest imact in a cat 4/5 race.

Now, as a sprinter, I made it to Cat 2 in less than a year and placed in the top 10 in the nation. I think it's clear where my abilities are.

Anonymous said...

"I think it's clear where my abilities are."

Don't forget - Breaking shit, Blue Moon consumption, swearing, slacking, and lifting heavy objects.

Tenacious T said...

I'm just a big, dumb animal!