Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Radius

I realize I'm several days late, but I lost my camera so I had to search high and low to find it so I could post several crappy photos to go with this post. Probably not really worth it.  If you want to see photos that don't suck, go here.

The Radius event at the track on Sunday was awesome! The skies looked like they would let loose at any moment, but we were able to complete the entire event. Even the 4/5 field, which usually isn't very exciting to watch (sorry guys), was extremely competitive.

Since Ray can't be bothered to make the voyage to the white-trash haven that is Blaine, MN, I was acting as the race whip. I found that I really enjoy yelling at people. I also got to hold riders prior to their flying 200's. I found that I do not like being in that close of proximity to sweaty man-ass.

The team of Crosby/Kruse set the tone early with a time of 11.4 in the team flying 200. I think Franz had to change his chamois after that one, but he was able to regroup and, together with Alex Atherton, clocked the best time of the day at 11.2.

Next up was a tempo race, which was dominated by Crosby/Kruse, a trend that would continue for the rest of the event. It was after this race that the team of Masiulis/Jacobsen decided to drop out due to "being too shitty". Weak.

The 360 race is basically a 1.5-lap chariot. Crosby won the first heat, and Franz won the 2nd, both of them coming from 2nd position over the top in the backstretch to narrowly eek out the win.

The final "sprint" race of the evening was a Madison kilo. Crosby/Kruse won by around 6 seconds. It wasn't even close.

The final race of the night was an 80-lap madison. Several teams dropped out prior to this race, in which Crosby/Kruse put (I believe) 3 laps into the field. Dicks.

It was during the Madison that Smithers had his shoulder literally ripped from its socket by Linzilla's furious Madison throw and had to come of the track in an extreme amount of pain. T3 and I were the first ones to get there, and we kind of just stared at each other, not knowing what to do. So I did what any manly man would do in that situation: I freaked out for a few seconds, then yelled for Linsey. She came off the track and got the shoulder back into place within about 30 seconds. It's probably just another day at the office for her, but it impressed the hell outta me.

Here's the pics:

New road wheels. The are Franz's.  Mine will be ready soon (right, Brain????). Cane Creek 50mm carbon rims laced to Dura-Ace hubs with Sapim Cx-Ray spokes. Soon to have Vittoria Corsa Evo Cx tires glued on. Look out, Tuesday night group ride!
Crosby attacks in the tempo race.  Franz is about to blow sky-high.  It was estimated that he was lapped 17 times in this 20-lap race.
Skibby and his elbow took care of entertaining all 8 people in the stands.
Mad photography skillz
Crosby throws Kruse into the race.

2 comments:

Christopher Smith said...

I did not know who was there when I came off the track. Thanks for your help!

Tenacious T said...

I wouldn't classify anything I did as "help", but I'm glad you're alright.