Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Attitude

I was watchign the Prefontaine Classic the other day, and the two-mile was just about to start. The commentators were talking about all the favorites, specifically Alan Webb.

I'm not sure how well anyone who reads this knows running, but often there are "rabbits" in the race who are simply there to set the pace for the first 1/2 to 3/4 of the race. Sometimes the rabbits go out too fast, and the racers don't want to push that hard early in the race. That was the case here, but two runners, one of them Craig Mottram from Australia, went with the rabbits and opened up about a 30 meter gap on the field.

Craig ended up winning the race by a good margin. When asked about his victory, he said something to the effect of, "I went out hard, but at least if I had gotten beat, I would have known I got beat fair and square instead of hanging back and trying to run a tactical race. I beat a lot of runners who are stronger than me." I dig that attitude.

No comments: