Friday, June 01, 2007

I'm a 3

Si, soy un tres!

I did not have it last night. Whatever "it" is, I had none. I couldn't get warmed up, and every time I blinked it was nearly impossible to get my eyes to open again. As race time drew nearer, I was able to psych myself up a bit, but I wasn't feeling very confident. Somehow I was able to dig deep and score enough points to get my Cat 3 upgrade.

The 10-lap scratch race played out the way it usually does, with a few failed breaks in the first 5 laps, then everyone sitting in for the final sprint. With 4 to go I put in a big, short attack to string out the field. I pulled up and got back in on 3rd wheel, right behind Dan Currell. He took off on the bell lap, and I was able to come around him on the backstretch, then he re-passed me through turns 3-4, then it was a drag race to the finish line, and I won by maybe a foot.

Next up was the Miss & Out where I continued my reign of inadequacy. I did better than last time, scoring a 7th place, but still not great. I hate that race because it's the one that's least dependent upon how strong of a rider you are. I need to work on my mental game.

Currell got upgraded before the final 40-lap scratch race, and I had to score some omnium points to get my upgrade. Ted was all pissy cuz he hadn't placed well in the earlier races, so I force-fed him an energy drink and told him to buck the fuck up. He went on to win the race. I am a great motivator. I rode the race very, very stupidly and was lucky to somehow take 3rd. I chased down every single break, wasting a ton of energy, and none of them stuck. With 2 to go, I hardly had anything left so I started doing the math, trying to figure out who I had to beat to ensure 2nd in the omnium. I got it, and I'll be racing with the 3's next week.

2 comments:

T3 said...

nice work!

Unknown said...

Great Job...
I bet the wheels help too.

Keep posting because it's great reading.

Josh Reddoch
Cane Creek/MASI
"Squadra Della Pista"