Friday, June 22, 2007

Thoughts on Doping

I'm not going to turn this into a "right or wrong" post, just some ramblings.

It occured to me while looking through the start list for the TDF that there are quite a few ex-dopers in the peleton. It made me wonder...do these guys have any long-term benefits from past doping?

I realize that things like blood transfusions and EPO are cleared from the body relatively quickly, but what about riders who used Testosterone and Growth Hormones? While they were using these, they could have gained substantial amounts of strength and transformed their bodies in ways a clean rider never could. These effects don't just go away. The riders would be able to retain at least a portion of these benefits post-doping.

So, my questions is, do they still have an advantage over someone who's ridden clean throughout their entire career? I would say "yes".

No comments: