Friday, March 07, 2008

Facebook Review

I had an account on Facebook for roughly two weeks. I cancelled it because it annoyed the shit out of me.

The first 2-3 hours were spent just figuring how to navigate through the most un-intuitive user interface ever concocted.

The subsequent days were spent trying to determine why Facebook exists. Once I came to terms with the fact that it serves no purpose, everything started to make sense. You can't actually DO anything with it...it's just there. Yippee-freakin'-doo.

I inadvertently sent "friend requests" (how gay is that?) to everyone in my GMail address book, which included several people I don't know...like people I've sold things to on e-bay, random Craigslist people, and a couple junk-mailers...good times.

Within days, I started getting bombarded with "friend requests" from random people I went to high school with, which I summarily ignored. Listen, asshole, I didn't like you then...why would we be e-friends now?

I got "de-friended" by a couple people for leaving what I thought were funny comments on some of their photos. I guess people take themselves pretty seriously. I can't relate to that.

It basically allows people to talk big and make unsubstantiated claims, and silence all detractors. Very Fascist.

The worst part, by far, it the concept of a "Wall". No shit, people come and "write on your wall", which is basically leaving you a note. If you read someone's "wall", everything posted there is completely out of context and makes absolutely no sense. It's borderline infuriating.

My final squibble is that it ultimately is just too impersonal. It's locked down so tightly that no one's true personality is allowed to come through. Users can't really write much about themselves aside from the kind of cookie-cutter information you would find on dating sites (not that I would know, but it seemed like a good analogy).

Blogging is way better.

6 comments:

Morgan W said...

your just too old. You don't have the drama of having lots of friends all involved with "life changing" controversies every week. Part of the fun is watching people bad mouth some one on one persons wall then praising them on another. Its also a usefull tool for "not working" and is excellent for procrastination. Its better than myspace, even if they do let high schoolers and old people in now but its main draw is it has lots of things better to do than homework.

Skibby said...

I was defriended for making comments on pictures also! high-five!

Lunatic Biker said...

Good job young man. We'll move you up a slot in the will. Does Dairy Queen sell gift cards?

Donimator said...

Fact the CEO and Founder of Facebook is 23 years old and worth 1.5 Billion bucks....Think he aint?

Lunatic Biker said...

He can have a lot of money and still be a dipshit.

Meow said...

I'm hoping that I filtered out a lot of people by not using my real name!! No one from High School knows me as "Meow" Thompson!