Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Trimming The Fat

I was always under the impression that sprinters are just supposed to be big and powerful. So I ate. And lifted. And ate. I ate pretty much everything in sight. The proverbial "see food" diet.

After doing some work with an SRM to determine my max watts, I was sitting on the crapper yesterday playing with the calculator on my cell phone. It was at that point that I discovered what a big difference a small amount of body weight can make in watts/kg. A difference as small as 5-10 pounds can mean the difference between being good locally and being good nationally.

I know 10 pounds is a lot for some of you skinny kids, but it's really not that much once you're 200+.

I eat a lot of good foods now, but I combine them with a lot of bad foods. So I'm going to start eating healthier. Not really a "diet" per se, but just cutting out some of the junk food to drop my body fat percentage a couple points. I guess my beloved Chicken McNuggest will have to find a home in someone else's love handles.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

How much does gravity actually play a role at the track...?

Anonymous said...

sorry-JJJ

Skibby said...

if one guy weighs 220 pounds and puts out 2000 watts and another guy weighs 190 and puts out 2000 watts, who's going to win?

T3 said...

if one guy weighs 220 pounds and puts out 2000 watts and another guy weighs 190 and puts out 2000 watts, who's going to win?

are they naked in a rainstorm?

Tenacious T said...

The extra weight may help a little bit on the downhill portion of a flying 200, but not much. It's not all about the timed events. In the sprint rounds, you still have to accellerate all that extra weight.

A gallon or water weighs roughly 8 pounds. Imagine doing sprints with a gallon of water attached to your body. Think it would slow you down?

Also, with greater weight usually comes greater frontal area. I think something like 80+% of power output is used to counteract aerodynamic drag.

Lunatic Biker said...

Was that one of those who's buried in Grant's tomb kinda things?

Anonymous said...

well your post said nothing of frontal area... and you might as well hand me a gallon and a half more...

-JJJ

Anonymous said...

I took the same approach as you mentioned. Eat smarter and cut out empty calories. I eliminated about 3-6 Cokes a day and about four beers. The pounds melted away. Good luck.