Tuesday, March 18, 2008

It's Gonna Be A Long Week


I love the Dura-Ace pedals. They're really secure and give a solid platform for sprinting. I have heard a couple people mention that using the fixed (no float) cleats adds a new dimension to the pedals and enhances the power transfer, so I picked some up.

I've mentioned before that I'm super-anal about bike fit, and cleat position is no exception. It generally takes me at least a week to get them exactly where I want them. The cleat on the right side is the one that always gives me trouble.

I spent about two hours adjusting them, and finally did a few sprints. The left cleat felt fine, but I just couldn't get the right one lined up. With no float, it's even harder to adjust.

After a sprint workout I didn't feel like the fixed cleats really made a difference in performance and I was sick of fiddling with them, so I switched back to my floating cleats. It was at that point that I realized that the fixed cleats do make an impact. The floating cleats suddenly felt sloppy and "vague". There's really no way to describe it...you gots ta feel me to catch what I'm sayin', believe dat!

So now I have get to re-start the process of adjusting the fixed cleats. It'll be worth it in the end. It better be.

No comments: