Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Who Could Have Predicted This? Oh yeah...

Moped crash injures St. Cloud woman

"A St. Cloud woman was injured this morning when the moped she was riding crashed on slick roads.

Trisha Lynn Cunningham, 19, was riding the moped north on 12th Street North and was trying to stop at a light at 29th Avenue North, said Sgt. Jeff Janssen. Slick roads and inexperience driving the moped were likely factors in causing the crash, he said.

Cunningham was taken to St. Cloud Hospital for treatment of non-life threatening injuries, Janssen said. Cunningham was cited for not having proof of vehicle insurance."


I don't know how many of these incidents need to occur before people are required to have some sort of license to drive these fuckin' things.

8 comments:

Gilby said...

I still think about getting one (150-250cc), but not until going through the motorcycle safety training. Though scooters are "cute" and "little", they still aren't toys.

Anonymous said...

How would this particular incident have been any different had she had a license?

How many times have you heard about teenagers cracking up cars because they were "inexperienced drivers", yet licensed.

More government regulation is not the answer is this situation. It's a personal responsibility issue.

Also: note that no one else and no other property were harmed/damaged.

Personal responsibility, not government regulation.

Skibby said...

I'M IN TOTAL AGREEMENT WITH TUFFY!!!

Tenacious T said...

Would you give a car to someone who had never been behind the wheel and think it's OK for them to drive with the general population?

I'm all for personal responsibility, but the fact remains that training/testing is required for ALL OTHER VEHICLES.

At the very least, demonstration of basic skills.

I'd feel horrible if I killed someone who didn't know how to react in an emergency situation, even if it wasn't my fault.

Skibby said...

a bicycle is a vehicle and I don't recall having to get a bicycle license to ride on the road...

Anonymous said...

i totally agree with gilby...

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with rdanneker, it's more of personal responsibility, rather than government regulation.

Bike Bubba said...

I was going to disagree until I read Gilby's comment that a lot of them are coming in at 150cc and more. I guess these are NOT the Honda Sprees that I raced on my bike in college!