Tuesday, October 07, 2008

...And All That Could Have Been

Now that I've had some time to reflect on Track Nats, there are a few "shoulda's" that stand out for me. Things I shoulda done differently, or better. There were also a few things that were out of my control.

First and foremost, getting sick 2 weeks out and taking 5 days completely off the bike absolutely killed my fitness. I still felt strong, but I think I may have peaked about 10 days early. I felt like I was on the downswing in LA. I was fading at the end of races, where normally I would have still been on the gas. My recovery between races also sucked.

Speaking of races, I did too many. I had at least one race every day for 5 days. At Nationals, a race isn't just a race. There's the process of loading up the car and heading to the track. Then getting dressed, warmed up, and staying warm though the other races on the schedule. The grand total generally ended up being in the range of 3-4 hours. I should have skipped the 250, because it wasn't an event I cared about, and I should have scratched out of the keirin and saved my energy for the next day, since I knew I had nothing in the tank.

I also felt sick for much of the time I was in LA. I didn't feel "right" until the final day of competition. Maybe arriving a few days earlier, instead of showing up 5 hours before my first race, would have alleviated that.

Throughout 2008, the best I ever felt was at the State Match Sprints. I need to examine my training and determine what I did in the lead-up to that event, because whatever it was worked perfectly.

I'm also reevaluating my position on the bike. After seeing videos of myself, I think there's quite a bit of room for improvement there.

I learned this year that in order to be competitive at the Elite level, sprinters now need to have sub-11 200m speed, as well as 1:05 kilo speed. A sprint isn't a sprint anymore...it's a 2-lap drag race, and I wasn't prepared for that.

I also hate the fact that Nats is held in October. I have trouble keeping my motivation high that late into the season.

I'm currently in the process of reevaluating my goals for 2009, which may or may not include another run at Nationals. Maybe I'll just come out and race for FUN.

4 comments:

Russian Bear said...

You need to get out more. Plain and simple. Nationals is always a drag race. Has been for 20 years. Play a tactic and get dropped with 2 laps to go.

There are no tactics to speak of.

The Kilo? Shit man, back in the 90's, there were half a dozen guys in America at 1:04. One of them went 1:01 in 1995 and again in 1996.

In 1998 no less than 4 pursuit riders went under 1:04 and a kilo guy went 1:02.

So they aint getting faster. In fact, had you peaked and had your head together, you had a great opportunity to win a podium spot in the Sprints. Maybe the whole thing.

Keirin, not likely yet. But speed kills tactics especially when you start your sprint near full throttle.

You did very good. A real strong 200M and a good showing in the TS. So well done.

Did you look around at nats? Nobody was there (spectators) and nobody wants to race nationals in October. Hence the somewhat pedestrian turnout with so many missing names it may as well have been just another race.

I dont know where Jimmy Watkins came from, but he was surely lucky Massie, Lakatosh, Barczewski, Duvendeck, Alfred, Stahl, Anton Quist and so on. It looked like a B race national with a couple fast guys.

You missed a great opportunity.

Peak next time.

I am with you. There is no money, fame or glory even when you win.

Nothing. You get what you get and go back to work. Been there, done that.

Meow said...

Well, it sounds like you've gained a lot of insight with this experience. Getting sick 2 weeks before was just bad luck really.
You're still relatively young though and it would seem to ME, like you'll just keep improving. I know it's too soon to make the decision, but I hope you try it again next year! :)

Unknown said...

which cross race is speedfix promoting so you can retain the recognized club status required by USCF rulebook? it would suck to lose all that recognition.. i'll bring beer

Skibby said...

you haven't been racing for fun? Then why do it, unless you are a professional?