Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Monday Night Ride

10 people showed up to ride in the dark in sub-freezing weather last night. It was great to see some faces I hadn't seen in way too long. Despite the relatively "easy" pace, I kept getting gapped, then blowing my load to catch back up.

That picture is not the result of me blowing my load, rather the result of a crappy tubeless tire repair product. This was required because Mike busted his shit up when he had to take evasive action to avoid being run over on his way to the trail.

At the start of the 2nd lap I didn't notice that everyone had left without me, so I rode the trail backwards till I met up with them again. I don't know what the hell I was doing...I just looked up and they were gone. Riding in the woods at night by yourself is a bit creepy. Way too quiet. Once I found the group again, I was able to hang better than on the first lap. Most of the guys know the trail really well, and I...um...don't. I was pleased to be hanging with the "fast guys" on the last lap, until one of them started whistling while I was suffering like a dog. Dick.

Overall, it was a lot of fun. The new grips I put on the bike are way pimp. I think it was my first mountain bike ride EVER where my hands didn't fall asleep. The stem/bars/seatpost/saddle are all set up correctly, too, so I actually didn't feel too beat up after the ride.

Based on my complete lack of fitness, I think I may be fooling myself that the VeloCX race is going to be "fun". At this rate, I'll be lucky to beat T3.

3 comments:

T3 said...

whyz everyone gotta be all like that??

Tenacious T said...

Everyone picks on the kid with the cool bike.

Someone with such impeccable taste in Gin should be able to handle it.

Ben said...

Glad you made it out, it was a blast.