Saturday, October 04, 2008

Track Nats, Day 3

I wish they'd held the 5-8 sprint final last night. Today I had to go through the whole warm-up, stress, blah blah blah for one freakin' race. WAAAAHHHHH!!!!

Anyway.

I had a hard time getting warmed up today, but once I did I felt pretty damn good. I knew I was entering the race against 3 kilo guys, and I was the only pure sprinter in the bunch. I knew it would go long, and I was prepared. The first jump came with almost 2 laps to go. I covered it pretty easily and was holding 2nd coming into the bell lap, feeling pretty good. I had one guy boxed in underneath me, but I started to hit the wall coming into the final turn. The guy who beat me in the first sprint round was trying to move up on the outside, so I gave him a little flick to protect my position, and that was enough for David Espinoza (Collegiate Sprint and Kilo National Champion) to get un-boxed and take the win. I held on for 3rd, ending up 7th in the overall standings.

I retrospect, I think I raced pretty smart. I saw the video, and there really wasn't much more that I could have done. At the end of the day, I'm currently the 7th best sprinter in America. Life could be worse!

Jimmy Watkins won the sprints after a bad crash by Steve Hill in the finals. He looked like he got his bell rung pretty damn hard. Hill was trying to flick Watkins, but Watkins didn't move, and Hill bounced right off him and went down.

Michael Blatchford is dealing with some back spasms, so he scratched today and ended up 4th.

Kruse rolled a 4:59.1 kilo pursuit and Linsey got a taste of a National-level keirin. Good racing by everyone today and a lot of fun to watch.

Here's the pics.

Ready to race

First lap

At the finish

Medics

Wish I was there!

Nice jacket!

They forgot our sliverware, so Linsey ate her potatoes with steak a knife

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

pursuit, not kilo. God, a 4:59 kilo would be pretty awful.

Tenacious T said...

From now on, I blog before I drink.

Anonymous said...

At the end of the day, I'm currently the 7th best sprinter in America.

Whoa there, Rob Lindstrom. You were the 7th best sprinter *at the meet*.

Still a job well done.

Franz said...

Disagree with you rdanneker. If you don't race you can't win. I can think of a very fast rider in MN. but he is not good at racing. He could be in the top 10 fastest guys in the state. But he does not race or at least race very well. So I do not consider him that. Maybe he does not race because he is not clean?

Anonymous said...

hey tuff ass - go act like a creep somewhere else

Franz said...

At least I have the balls to sign my name.

Anonymous said...

Franz, that was @ rdanneker

Franz said...

OK I will chill

Anonymous said...

I think that Taylor's accomplishments are well-deserved and are definitely the product of hard work and dedication. Taylor deserves to be the face of MN track cycling at Nationals.

There's no harm, or creepiness, intended -- I was just pointing out that the remark was getting a bit into Rob "I'm The Fastest Cyclist In America" Lindstrom territory. That's all. It was intended to be a tongue-in-cheek shot at Goldmember.

Congratulations, Taylor.

Franz -- I hope there's no hard feelings. None were intended on this end.

Closed-circuit to "anonymous": I stopped posting under nicknames (when Blogger will allow) a long time ago. I put my name on all comments. I'd think a little more of you, regardless of your thoughts, if you'd do the same.

Tenacious T said...

At the meet? It's fucking NATIONALS. Where else would I go to try to be the best in the nation?