Sunday, October 05, 2008

Track Nats, Day 4: Stupid Kierins

I felt like absolute shit today and almost didn't race. I maybe should have gone with that thought, because I had a rough day.

In my first round there was a near crash (caused by someone riding like a retard) just before the motor pulled off and after the shuffle I ended up in 7th position. At this point my only option was to jump the motor, and I had to come all the way over the top. I pulled a good gap but couldn't hold it for 2 full laps and ended up 3rd behind Justin Williams and Dean Tracy.

In the rep I was pretty cooked and my game plan was to just sit in and wait for a hole
to open up on the last lap. It never happened, and I had to back off a bit, then try to come over the top and I ended up in 2nd.

Done for the day.

There was a solo crash in Ferris's heat, which he narrowly avoided to end up 2nd and advance to the 2nd round. There, he drew the motor and rode a good race, just barely missing the 1-6 finals. He rode well in the 7-12 finals and ended up getting 9th. Nice work!

Somehow Fraley was able to work his way all the way up through the reps and get himself on the podium in 5th. Unfortunately, things like dates and times are too much for him to handle, and he screwed up his plane tickets and has to fly back tonight, leaving us without a starter for our Team Sprint. We were able to recruit TJ Mathieson (the guy who beat me in the first sprint round). He's wicked fast. I'll be starting, with Ferris 2nd and TJ 3rd. We're shooting for the top of the podium!

Kruse missed qualifying for the finals in the points race by about 6 inches. He took 4th in the final sprint, getting 1 point, and he needed 2 points to qualify.

Dubay is still a bit ill and his heat blew to smithereens. That sucks.

So far the Blaine crew has 4 top-10 finishes at Nationals, so I'd say we're having a damn good showing! Team sprint and Madison tomorrow...

The internet is acting up in our cheap-ass hotel, so I can't upload photos right now. I'll try later.

No comments: