Friday, January 08, 2010

College Football

So, I watched the BCS Championship game last night. I never watch college football, but figured I'd give it a chance since these were the top two teams in the nation and the Heisman Trophy winner was playing. It seemed to have all the makings of an exciting game.

Wow, was I wrong. Everything looked like it was in slow motion. In fact, I felt like I was watching a high school game.

Nick Saban is coaching? The guy who's NFL record was 15-17? The guy who thought he should start Daunte Culpepper? He's the pinnacle of college coaching? Strike one.

The announcers sucked and the video quality was severely lacking. Again, I felt like I was watching a high school game. Strike two.

Yawn. This is sooooo fucking boring. Why did they spend so much time showing the school marching bands? Ugh! Strike three.

Honestly, I'm not sure how NFL scouts can look at these players and decide that some of them are ready for the NFL. Everything just looked sloppy. These student athletes (and I use the word "student" very liberally here) were so overhyped (the next Emmit Smith? Really?) that maybe my expectations were just too high.

I also don't know how people can keep up with all the damn teams out there. Way too many for me. How many championship trophies are there? How many bowl games? What do the rankings really mean? I think every undefeated team should be ranked number 1.

There were a few high points. I was pulling for Texas' backup quarterback, a true freshman, to pull some Friday Night Lights shit and win the game, which he actually almost did. I also thought that Mark Ingram was pretty good, though I would imagine most 215-lb running backs could break the arm-tackles he was breaking. He has good balance though, which I guess is sweet.

Bonus question: Why didn't Nick Saban seem happy that he won the game?

Can someone explain the appeal to me? I'd love to have enjoyed it more, but I just don't get it. I'd rather watch the two worst NFL teams than the two best college teams.

No comments: