Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Stupid Dumbbells. Is That Redundant?


I currently own dumbbells in 5-pound increments up to 35 pounds, then it jumps to 50, then 75. Since I've been lifting a lot lately, the need has arisen for me to both fill in the gaps and go heavier.

I stopped by our local discount sporting goods store, looking for 65's and 85's. Nothing fancy, just cheap hex dumbbells. Well, apparently those don't exist anymore, because the basic dumbbells were $1/pound. Each. That means I would have been paying $300 for 2 sets of dumbbells. No fuckin' way.

I looked briefly at the Olympic dumbbell handles, but it seems that they'd be rendered almost unusable with 45-pound plates on them. Even 25's I think would be too big.

So I ended up ordering these guys.

10-pound wrist weights. I figure I can grab my 50-pound dumbbells, wrap these around my wrists, and instantly be working with 60 pounds. It's less than ideal, but they were $20.

Damn, I'm frugal.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Check out craigslist

Anonymous said...

Check out Power Blocks and sell your DBs on craigs list.
The PBs take up next to no room and are the best thing going for a home gym for people who mainly use dumbbells.
Get the Sport 9.0 with Stage II and you'll be good to go (5-90 lbs).
NorthStarHomeFitness will give you a deal on them and they're made in Owatonna so you'll be supporting a MN company.