Monday, January 12, 2009

Anniversary Weekend Recap

Even though we're planning a "real" vacation in February, the lovely wife and I still wanted to get away for a weekend to celebrate our 5-year anniversary at Lusten.

Ya know how sometimes something looks nice online, then when you get there, it really sucks balls? That's just how our motel was. Yeah, it's a freakin' MOTEL.

At least the view was good.

I honetly think we stayed at the shittiest place on the north shore. What a hole. The worst part was that there was hardly enough water pressure to even flush the toilet. Anyone who knows me knows that I need lot of flushing power! We could barely shower. Talk about a weak stream! There was also a very strange channel line-up on the TV. CNN, The Outdoor Channel, and HGTV. That's it. We spent a lot of time watching home makeover shows. Now my house feels all inadequate.

We spent Friday afternoon and most of Saturday snowboarding.

I decided that I'm never going to be very good at snowboarding, so I'm going to try skiing. Some twin tips may be just the ticket! I mean, I'm OK, but I want to be able to do jumps and tricks and what not, and it just ain't happenin'. I'm not patient enough to keep trying after 4 years of mediocrity. My problem is that I don't do well with being "OK" at things. I either have to be good or I don't do it.

The gondola ride is always fun.


Saturday afternoon we checked out some of the XC ski trails, and it was absolutely incredible. The trails were in perfect condition, and the scenery was breathtaking. It was the perfect way to end the day.


We sat and watched the moon rise, then went out for dinner and drinks. Mmmmm, drinks.

On our way home we stopped to do some snowshoeing on the Superior Hiking Trail. I was hoping to see some wildlife, but the woods just seem desolate and dead this time of year. It's peaceful, yet a little spooky.


I'm tired, too. Let's go home.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Looks like fun. Forget the snowboarding and all the monkeying around with buckling and unbuckling your boots, etc. You gotta go tele-skiing! Bridge Run at Lutsen is a tele classic. Nice grade to go fast and take big wide sweeping turns. Ahhh, good memories.