Monday, January 05, 2009

Every Damn Year

Once again, I let myself get sucked in by the Vikings hype machine, and once again, they let me down.

I actually thought T-Jack played alright for a young quarterback in his first playoff game. Keep in mind, he only actually started 5 games all year.

As usual, this loss comes down to coaching. Poor decision making, poor clock management, and predictable play calling that was far too conservative to win a game when it counts. Rookie mistakes, time and time again. That's the story of the season.

I was shocked to hear that the game was almost blacked out because the Vikes couldn't sell out the Metrodome. Has that ever happened in a playoff game? Vikings fans are some of the most hardcore around, so I was baffed. Then it occurred to me. The lack of interest wasn't due to fans not supporting the team. It was due to fans' disillusionment with the Childress regime and lack of confidence in his ability to lead this team to a win.

Turns out they were right.

The fans will always be behind this team 100%, but until we get a new coach it's going to be increasingly difficult to believe in them.

4 comments:

Meow said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Meow said...

Oops--I meant Koivu KICKS ass (wrote "kiss" on accident). Anyway, as I was SAYING....yah, even my 8 yr old knows how much that Childress dude SUX! Which is why we expend our energy cheering for the WILD! Because Koivu DOES indeed kick azz....Johnsson-not so much. ;)

Unknown said...

Huh?! I don't think you can blame this one on coach. TJ had a pretty bad game. Picked for a TD, completion rate hit the skids in the 2nd half. Sorry, he's young is no longer an excuse for a playoff game. He didn't deliver - simple as that.

Every damn year - tell me about it. I still remember watching the last 3 Stupid-Bowl losses.

And the Wild... YES! They are more fun and definitely more worthwhile.

Tenacious T said...

I still say it comes down to coaching. Childress drafted TJ in the first place. Childress told us all he was "ready". After he proved that he's not, Childress benched him. So, due to poor decisions by Childress, TJ plays a backup roll all season, then is expected to play like a veteran in only the 7th start of his career?

Also, I'd rather shove pine cones up my ass than watch hockey.